Pro Concordia Labor:
The 2013 event in connection with the
Peace Palace Centenary
The Pro Concordia Labor flag was first adopted on August 27, 1897 by the Universal Peace Union at its 31st annual convention in Mystic Grove, Connecticut, U.S.A. 116 years later to the day, the flag was revived for an event aptly entitled ‘Pro Concordia Labor’ which was held on August 27, 2013 - the eve of the centenary of the Peace Palace - in Delft, The Netherlands.
The 2013 event was designed as an educational celebration aimed at connecting Bertha von Suttner’s legacy to the development of international law - which in a very real sense begins with the Peace Palace in The Hague - which was built as proper symbolic home for the world’s first international court - The Permanent Court of Arbitration. A bust of Bertha von Suttner was unveiled at the Peace Palace on the occasion of its 100th birthday on August 28, 2013. 2011 Nobel Peace Prize laureate Leymah Gbowee - who spoke at Pro Concordia Labor the night prior, unveiled this bust. Also speaking at Pro Concordia Labor were Stephen J. Rapp (U.S. Ambassador for Global Criminal Justice) and Brigid Inder (Director, Women’s Initiatives for Gender Justice). The 2013 event was conceived and organized by Hope Elizabeth May. A number of materials in connection with this event are available below.